Bridgend PAST PRESENT FUTURE?
Bridgend History

 

Menu

Home page

Bridgend News

Development

The Future for Bridgend

Bridgend History

Shops


Adare Street

Brackla Street

Caroline Street

Court Road

Derwen Road

Dunraven Place

Market street

Nolton Street

Queen Street

The Rhiw

Park Street

Wyndham street

Contact Us



Gardeners
Calendar


    Bridgend the town by the river 

Standing Stones


Remains of Llangewydd Church & Churchyard Laleston

The standing stones are thought to be the remains of an entrance to the Medieval 11th century  church yard of St Cewydd's Church.   The two stones are all that remains of the medieval church and village of Llangewydd. Two carved ‘Celtic’ crosses were recovered from the area and are now on show at the     National Museum.   There are a few plain standing stones in the hedge to the left of the two in the picture and many piles of stones from the buildings around the fields perimeter.   There is no public access to the field as the land is now farmed. Scheduled Ancient Monuments (SAMs) have statutory protection.



I
n the early twelfth century the reformed Cistercians religious order spread from France across Europe, reaching Wales in 1131. Part of their ethos was that they wanted to farm their own land by the sweat of their brows. They preferred to settle on unused land and bring it under cultivation themselves. But there was very little unused land in England and Wales, but when they were given land which was already being farmed by tenant's, they  would used a combination of persuasion or moral blackmail to remove the tenant farmers.

The Cistercian monks of Margam were given the land around Llangewydd in the middle of the twelfth century and within fifty years they had removed the church and the little settlement around it. It is said that in later years the land was then sold on to a local farm.



Share with your friends on Facebook or Twitter. Just Click the link below.

Facebook Twitter



Advertisements

Pursuit
42 Dunraven Place, Bridgend
Contact: Mike 07840 287 383
web site here



Bridgend Sandwich Bar.
Est: 1940



Return to Main Bridgend History Page




Copyright BridgendPPF.com 2017
Bridgend History

The Old Post Office Garage
The Old Post Office Garage



Royal cipher E VIII R. 1936

Bridgend ROF 53
Bridgend ROF 53


Hut 9
Hut 9


Hut 9
Island Farm



The Old Historic Bridge



Newcastle Castle



St Illtyds Church


Clock
Mason Williams clock c1890


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsored by
pegasusforhosting.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~