Bridgend History



Home page

Bridgend News


The Future for Bridgend

Bridgend History


Adare Street

Brackla Street

Caroline Street

Court Road

Derwen Road

Dunraven Place

Market street

Nolton Street

Queen Street

The Rhiw

Park Street

Wyndham street

Contact Us


    Bridgend the town by the river 

The Old Bridge
The Old Bridge   
The Old Historic Bridge over the river Ogmore

This bridge is a Scheduled Ancient Monument (GM049) and a Grade II* listed structure, its Origin dates back to c.1425 which places it as a Medieval structure, with its two stone arches (originally five) spanning the river Ogmore in Bridgend, the towns name in Welsh is 'Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr,' which means 'Main Bridge by the River Ogmore.' The original five span stone bridge had three main river arches and a smaller flood arch on each bank. The piers had straight pointed cutwaters, and the roadway rose up to the centre of the bridge.

This history Plaque is by the steps in Dunraven Place.

Before the Old bridge was constructed, travellers crossed the river at a ford, north of the site, between the Norman settlements of Oldcastle, or on the East side Nolton,  and on the west Newcastle. The town that subsequently grew on the eastern side of the bridge was then named Bridgend, growing to absorb Nolton and Newcastle and the surrounding area.

The Old Bridge
Located on the wall left of the Old Bridge

In August 1775, a tremendous flood demolished the western pillar, almost destroying two arches on the western side. The old Bridge was rebuilt with a single arch of double span and backs on to Dunraven Place the buildings being constructed in the early 1800 on the eastern end and leads onto the bridge through an ally way between two shops. The last known motor vehicle to cross the bridge was in 1920 the roadway is only 2.6m wide between parapets and not available to motorised traffic but is now used as a footbridge.

The bridge was restored in 2005 and again in 2011 with the cobble tracks being re-laid with traditional lime mortar in keeping with tradition. In 2007 The Bridge had an award from The Bridgend Civic Trust.

Share with your friends on Facebook or Twitter. Just Click the link below.

Facebook Twitter

Return to Main Bridgend History Page


42 Dunraven Place, Bridgend
Contact: Mike 07840 287 383
web site here

Copyright 2017
Bridgend History

The Old Post Office Garage
The Old Post Office Garage

Royal cipher E VIII R. 1936

Bridgend ROF 53
Bridgend ROF 53

Hut 9
Hut 9

Hut 9
Island Farm

The Old Historic Bridge

Newcastle Castle

Mason Williams clock c1890

Sponsored by



Bridgend Sandwich Bar.
Est: 1940