Bridgend History



Home page

Bridgend News


The Future for Bridgend

Bridgend History


Adare Street

Brackla Street

Caroline Street

Court Road

Derwen Road

Dunraven Place

Market street

Nolton Street

Queen Street

The Rhiw

Park Street

Wyndham street

Contact Us


    Bridgend the town by the river 

Newcastle Castle

The Old Historic Castle was build originally around 1106 as a ring works.
This is a scheduled monument Grade II* listed building protected by law.

Early in the year of 1100 the Normans pushed west from Cardiff and further into South Wales, upon reaching the Ogmore  river crossing it was decided to take control of it by building an earthworks on  what is now known as  Newcastle hill,  along with two other castles in  Ogmore  and  Coity  around 1106 to further strengthen and to consolidate their hold on the region, with Newcastle fortification in a strategically located position above the Ogmore valley and an ideal position to guard  and control the river crossing below.

The River Ogmore (Ogwr)

Initially a Norman castle, the site appears to have been refortified in stone by the king himself, Henry II in the years of 1180s, which is indicated by the exceptional quality of the masonry. During this time the king held the castle which would explain the style and superior quality of the building.

The door in the curtain wall

The castle has a curtain wall built of Sutton stone with a natural defence of cliff to the East, and apart part from some repair work to the south tower of the castle in the late 16th century, it remained untouched since the late 12th century. In 1217 the ownership was transferred to the Turbevilles, the Lords of Coity whose main seat was nearby at Coity Castle, leading Newcastle castle to be badly neglected by its new masters. The castles Ownership passed through the Turberville, Berkerolle and Gamage families and eventualy in 1718 it was bought by Samuel Edwin of Llanmihangel Place and later became part of the Dunraven estate

The site is roughly circular in shape with a flat polygon type structure, built with a stone curtain with projecting square type towers and a finely finished late Romanesque gate as can be seen in the picture below.

This is undoubtedly the castle's most outstanding feature  with a complete Norman doorway of late circa 12, which greets the visitor approaching the castle from the south.
The south tower is in the best condition, and stands in parts to three storeys high. It was altered for domestic use in the 16th century, when the Tudor windows and fireplaces were inserted into the ground floor. But only the ground floor of the west tower survives today.

Share with your friends on Facebook or Twitter. Just Click the link below.

Facebook Twitter

Return to Main Bridgend History Page


42 Dunraven Place, Bridgend
Contact: Mike 07840 287 383
web site here

Copyright 2017
Bridgend History

The Old Post Office Garage
The Old Post Office Garage

Royal cipher E VIII R. 1936

Bridgend ROF 53
Bridgend ROF 53

Hut 9
Hut 9

Hut 9
Island Farm

The Old Historic Bridge

Newcastle Castle

St Illtyds Church

Mason Williams clock c1890

Sponsored by



Bridgend Sandwich Bar.
Est: 1940