Bridgend History



Home page

Bridgend News


The Future for Bridgend

Bridgend History


Adare Street

Brackla Street

Caroline Street

Court Road

Derwen Road

Dunraven Place

Market street

Nolton Street

Queen Street

The Rhiw

Park Street

Wyndham street

Contact Us


    Bridgend the town by the river

St Illtyds

On passing through one of the finest of  lych-gates  that I have seen, that was donated in 1910 by Samuel Llewellyn, and into the well kept graveyard of this fine 11th centaury building that is St Illtyd's Anglican Church, you are taken aback by the grandeur of this Grade II* listed Monument, it sits on top of a very steep hill called Newcastle Hill, next to the ruins of Newcastle castle and serves the Parish of Newcastle Bridgend, Wales. The church overlooks the town of Bridgend below, and is visible for miles especially in the evenings when it is lit up to dramatic effect.

St Illtyd's Church is a Victorian decorated, Gothic rebuilding of an earlier 14th Century church which is steeped in local history, as there has been worship on this site for almost 900 years when the first recorded priest was Fr Gilbert in 1153.

The nave and chancel were rebuilt in the 19th century when the aisle and vestry were added on the north side of the building. However, there is a fine early 14th century west tower with gargoyles and low pinnacles still in good order,
only the west tower remains of the medieval church. The rest was rebuilt and enlarged in the years of 1849-50 by John Prichard of Llandaff and a north chancel chapel was added in the year of 1893-4.

Through the years there has been many a story of battles that took place here, in 1226 both Newcastle Church and the Castle was attacked, and nearly destroyed by the Welsh from Afan. This was one of many of such attacks on Newcastle by the welsh who’s land had been stolen from them by the Normans.
 The Castle and the Church were severely damaged again in 1404-05 by the attacks of Owain Glyndwr and his army in an attempt to claim back their land.


This memorial stands in the churchyard of St Illtyds Church

Share with your friends on Facebook or Twitter. Just Click the link below.

Facebook Twitter

Return to Main Bridgend History Page


42 Dunraven Place, Bridgend
Contact: Mike 07840 287 383
web site here

Copyright 2017
Bridgend History

The Old Post Office Garage
The Old Post Office Garage

Royal cipher E VIII R. 1936

Bridgend ROF 53
Bridgend ROF 53

Hut 9
Hut 9

Hut 9
Island Farm

The Old Historic Bridge

Newcastle Castle

St Illtyds Church

Mason Williams clock c1890

Sponsored by



Bridgend Sandwich Bar.
Est: 1940