Bridgend PAST PRESENT FUTURE?
Bridgend History

 

Menu

Home page

Bridgend News

Development

The Future for Bridgend

Bridgend History

Shops


Adare Street

Brackla Street

Caroline Street

Court Road

Derwen Road

Dunraven Place

Market street

Nolton Street

Queen Street

The Rhiw

Park Street

Wyndham street

Contact Us



Gardeners
Calendar





St John
Download the app: here

~~~~~
Mairís Walk
in aid of Cancer


View Pictures

Click Here to donate

~~~~~~
Bridgend Branch RBL

Poppy Appeal
Collectors Needed
Ring Andrew
01656 669988
077759027232
~~~~~~





    Bridgend the town by the river 

Bridgend

Indoor Market

Bridgend Indoor Market occupies a prime position within the retail sector of Bridgend, and is situated within the Rhiw Shopping Centre which fronts on to Caroline Street, Nolton Street and Queen Street. The Market is situated on the ground floor, and has access to the basement on the lower ground floor, with vehicular access to Queen Street. Below is some of the long history of the Indoor Market Hall dating from its inception in 1837.

Bridgend has been a thriving market town dating back to Roman times and later with a farmers market here on the streets around the Town Hall, until in 1836, The Bridgend Market Act was passed to remove position and livestock markets from the streets around the Town Hall.


Picture 1910

A New Market Hall was opened on Lady Day 1837, it was built by the  Earl of Dunraven  or his ancestors on the site of the old Tennis Courts, which later became the Tennis Court Hotel in Caroline Street and is now the Seconds Ahead store. The Market Hall remained in use until 1906 when it was replaced by a new, fully covered Market Hall.
( In 1908 A Grand Eisteddfod was held in the Market Hall on Boxing Day.)

In 1955 Bridgend Urban District Council purchased the Market Hall from the Dunraven Estates Ltd, the Market remained until 1972 when the Market Hall in Caroline Street was closed with the last stallholders leaving at the end of May 1972. The Hall was demolished in June 1972 after standing since 1906.    The new Market opened on Monday 15 May 1972.

 

On the 1st March 1996 the 130 year old Market Bell was re-installed in the Rhiw above the entrance to the Market. It was revealed that the bell had been laying idle in a Council depot since the demolition of the old market building in 1972.

You can view the present Indoor Market here Just Click this link
Then visit the Market
and enjoy what it has to offer.



Share with your friends on Facebook or Twitter. Just Click the link below.


Facebook Twitter


Advertisements

Pursuit
42 Dunraven Place, Bridgend
Contact: Mike 07840 287 383
web site here


Copyright BridgendPPF.com 2017
Bridgend History

The Old Post Office Garage
The Old Post Office Garage



Royal cipher E VIII R. 1936

Bridgend ROF 53
Bridgend ROF 53


Hut 9
Hut 9


Hut 9
Island Farm



The Old Historic Bridge



Newcastle Castle



St Illtyds Church


Clock
Mason Williams clock c1890


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~








+

Opening Hours

Mon. Tue. Thur. Fri. Sat.
8:30 to 5:00

Wed
9:00 to 4:30

To apply for a market stall
Phone:
01656 659154